So I’m 32 weeks pregnant. 8 weeks to go. THAT’S NOT VERY LONG AT ALL REALLY IS IT?
I have loved every minute of being pregnant but I’m starting to get impatient. I want to meet my son. I want labour over and done with. I want to be on maternity leave, concentrating only on my new family. I want, I want, I want…
And yet I am also enjoying making the most of these final few weeks – time for Jim and I to lounge around on the sofa watching Breaking Bad. Sleeping. Having a lie in. More sleeping. Seeing friends whenever I want to. Being involved in the exciting creative stage of a new project at work. Having a lie in. Sleeping.
I’ve had a pretty hectic few months and luckily pregnancy hasn’t gotten in the way of me enjoying myself, doing my job or carrying on as normal. But I am ready to start dialling it down a bit. I’m starting to feel knackered in the evenings, am starting to make ‘ooooof’ noises when I sit/stand, can’t get comfy on our (extremely comfy) sofa and the kicks have moved from the ‘gentle flutter’ stage to the ‘Millwall fan on day release’ stage. Ouch.
So what I need to do now is just relax and enjoy these last few weeks of being pregnant. BUT I CAN’T REALLY CAN I?! BECAUSE I STILL HAVE SO MUCH TO DO!
- Paint the nursery – I have just spent an hour on B&Q’s website ordering stuff to collect tomorrow. Woodwork needs to be washed on Friday evening, the room itself is being painted on Saturday. By Jim and I. That should be interesting.
- Get a changing table – this is the only ‘big thing’ we haven’t got yet. There’s a nice one on the John Lewis website but it’s sold out. A friend says he has one we can have but I’m still waiting for him to send me pics so I can see what it looks like. We can’t use the floor because both of us have suffered with bad backs in the past and I don’t want to aggravate anything. Our chest of drawers is the wrong height. It’s stressing me out, quite frankly.
- Get a baby bouncer – my neighbour said she’d lend me her Baby Bjorn bouncer but she’s going through some personal issues with her partner now so I feel a bit odd going over to remind her. ‘Oh yeah sorry you and your partner are splitting up and you need to sell the house – can I still borrow that baby bouncer?’
- Make the moses basket decision – do I really need one if I plan on putting him in his cot from birth? Do I need a stand for it if I do get one? A friend suggested I just let him sleep in his pram when he’s downstairs which is an idea I am still toying with…
- Get bottles/steriliser thingy – because I have decided I want Mini Lister ‘taking a bottle’ from as early as possible so Jim can help with feeds. I’m buying a breast pump from a friend to save on costs – just need to buy new ‘bits’ to go on it. And I promise that’s the last time I will use the words ‘breast pump’ or allude to any kind of ‘pumping’ on this blog.
- Pack my hospital bag – ok so maybe this can wait a few weeks but still.
- Buy sleepsuits, nappies and muslins - I’ve heard we’ll need quite a few of those.
I’d also quite like to get our bathroom ripped out and completely redone but I think that might be pushing it a bit.
Anyway – I’m going to try and blog a bit more now I’m in the ‘gearing down’ stage and don’t have plans every bloody weekend so I’ll keep you updated as to progress re the above To Do list. I’m also looking forward to reading back over these next few weeks once Mini Lister has arrived so I can laugh at how I thought I’d be able to plan everything in advance.
Ignorance is bliss eh?
Have a lovely day
Mrs L xx